From early 2001 through autumn 2010, Jay A. Novak was publisher and editor of Minnesota‘s premier business magazine, Twin Cities Business, of which he was also founding editor from 1993 through 1995. He has been the top editor of every major business-focused publication in Minnesota.
In 1999, he became the senior vice president of a Minnesota-based investment banking company, Miller Johnson Steichen Kinnard Investment Securities, for two years before returning to publishing.
Novak was director of communications at General Mills, press secretary for a United States Senator and editor for publications including: Corporate Report, City Business and a weekly magazine for Midwestern bankers. Early in his career, Novak was a reporter and news editor of a rural daily newspaper.
- Commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Trade and Economic Development by Minnesota Governor Arne Carlson Novak
- Minnesota Senator Rudy Boschwitz’s communications director
- Officer of an investment partnership focused on undervalued fixed-income securities
- Officer of six non-profit organizations
- Board member of the Hamline University School of Business
- Board member of a national trade association
- Board member of an Edina-based e-learning company
- Inducted into the Minnesota Business Hall of Fame® (2010)
- Received an Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year® award for Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Dakotas